Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash with alfredo sauce and garlic chicken
First off, let me start by saying that I have wanted to try spaghetti squash for awhile but wasn't sure exactly how to do so in the truck. I then ran across directions for cooking it in the crockpot - problem solved! They also recommended sautéing it afterwards - also no problem. Easy peasy! And, I must say, it really was very easy!

Unfortunately, I must also add that I was disappointed in the flavor. I was hoping to enjoy it, or at least tolerate it, as a good way to cut carbs and up veggie intake. However, spaghetti squash seems to me to have a sweet, almost nutty flavor, kind of like a lighter version of pumpkin. It really wasn't bad...if you like sweet veggies, that is. Me? I don't like mixing sweet and savory flavors together. I don't eat fruit on salad, I don't like sweet and sour sauce, etc. So the combination of the sweet-ish squash with the creamy alfredo sauce and garlic chicken was, I am disappointed to admit, not something I enjoyed.

I have talked to a lot of people who have suggested different kinds of sauce or flavors to pair it with, and there might come a day when I feel particularly adventurous and decide to try it again. In the meantime, however, here's the recipe. If you feel adventurous, give it a try and tell me what you think. Or feel free to share your favorite recipe or flavor pairing with me!

Ingredients:
1 small spaghetti squash
1/2 cup water
Olive oil and garlic, if desired

Cooked squash
Prick spaghetti squash 6-10 times with a sharp knife. Place in the crockpot on low with the water and let cook approximately 4 hours. When the flesh is tender and the knife slides easily when you prick it, pull it out and cut it in half, width-wise. Scoop out the seeds, and shred the flesh with a fork. It should separate easily in long strings. If desired, sautee with olive oil and fresh garlic, and top as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment